We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our cookie policy for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Close X

Cheapest Flights? Use The British Airways Low Fare Finder

> click here

About Continental Club

The fast-track for frequent travellers to search, find, book, change, check-in, upgrade,
earn rewards do everything.

> read more about us

Get our latest offers,
straight to your inbox...

Choose what you'd like to do
  • Buy Online

Lonely Planet Guides

Ths story of Lonely Planet began with Tony and Maureen Wheeler's honeymoon - an overland expedition from Europe to Australia, and the guide they wrote about it - 'Asia On The Cheap'.

Within a week they'd sold 1500 copies and Lonely Planet was born. Two years later, their second journey led to 'South-East Asia on a shoestring', which led to books on Nepal, Australia, Africa, and India.

Thirty years later in 2007, BBC Worldwide purchased a 75% stake in Lonely Planet, and the remaining 25% in 2011.

Today, Lonely Planet has offices in Melbourne, London and Oakland, with around 450 employees and over 200 authors.

Related articles...

> Visit our blogfor all the latest news, discussion and tips.